The church is a Grade II listed building with a history dating from the Conquest. The church was much restored at the turn of the Twentieth century and recently been much repaired, with a new curtain wall, tower and Nave arcade. The peal of bells has recently been increased from three to five and it is hoped to add a sixth bell in the near future. Plan are afoot to improve and upgrade the organ. The church yard recently won an award for best-kept churchyard in the diocese.
Location – St Mary and All Saints church lies some 4 miles southwest of Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire opposite The Mainwaring Arms on the north side of the junction of the A53 and Three Mile Lane.
Services – The church is associated with the parishes of Chapel/Hill Chorlton and Maer and there is a rotation of services between the churches.
Contact Details – For general enquiries please contact the Rector or the Church Wardens.
Location – Approaching Butterton Village from Trentham Road (A5182) the Church Gate is about 750 yards on the right. The tarmac drive is a single track between fields. The Church stands amidst the trees of Church Wood. Car parking is available around the Church.
The Church was built in 1859 as a traditional galleried chapel of the Primitive Methodist Church. In 1968 it was reduced to a single storey and has since undergone a series of improvements to make it an up to date multi-use place of worship, belonging currently to the North Staffordshire Methodist Circuit.
Location – Baldwins Gate, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire ST5 5DA
When entering the village from the Newcastle direction, on the A53, visitors will find the church is on the left hand side about quarter of a mile beyond the pedestrian traffic lights.