The distinctive rural character of the village derives from its valley position, surrounding fields and wooded hills. A strong farming presence, plus areas of special historic and landscape interest including the nearby villages of Whitmore and Maer, surrounds and completes what is a textbook country scene.
Historically, three main factors have influenced the position of and development of Baldwins Gate village. The building of the Grand Junction railway line in 1837, including Whitmore station (closed in 1952), gave rise to significant commercial activity, serving as it did Newcastle and the Potteries before the Stoke line was opened.
The sale by the Cavenagh-Mainwaring family in 1920 of a large parcel of land either side of the railway line allowed the village to develop and expand. The auction in 1921 by direction of the Marquis of Crewe of the 4493 acres of Madeley Estate which included Baldwins Gate Farm (184 acres), is believed to have given the village its name. At this time the village consisted of a handful of cottages in Coneygreave Lane, Moss Lane, Station Approach and beside the Main Road.
The Methodist Chapel at the western end of the village was built in 1859. Station House, a Grade 2 listed building of particular note, built by Roland Cavenagh-Mainwaring in 1839, stands to this day next to the railway.
The name “Sheet Anchor” is a nautical term defined as a large strong anchor for use in emergency. To this day we are the only public house in the U.K to hold this name.